Saturday, January 31, 2009

Holding on to The Wire

If you read my post on Christmas wants or if you have seen me anytime in the last 5 months, you'll know my recent love is with THE WIRE. Perhaps I'm a bit late to the party but you have to remember, I have never subscribed to HBO and I live in the UK plus I have a pop culture blind spot as J tells me.

For Christmas, I received the 5th Season of the Wire. We watched it in about a week and even watched all the crap extras (they were crap). I have since researched the actors to see what they were doing now or who they were before The Wire. I found out that that McNulty (Dominic West) is actually English and Stringer Bell (Idris Elba) who I thought was from Hackney (my neighbourhood) is actually from Newham. In any case, yay for East London!

But now there's nothing - an emptiness. I yearn for more. So, on Monday when Joy came by my desk, I noticed her T-shirt. I had to have one and of course I did. Here is the one I got for me, but it was cuter and tighter (this is the boy version).
I thought as it was J's birthday I should get him something too. Having matching t-shirts is a bit lame so I bought him a type related one given he has his new typography blog.
So, now I feel I can keep my obsession with The Wire living just a little longer. Thanks to Joy for the tip.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Hey Lisa - another Wire fan too! Brilliant isn't?

You might like to know, as a Blighty resident, that BBC2 will be screening the whole series top to bottom

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/tvandradioblog/2009/mar/12/sopranos-the-wire-bbc2