Saturday, October 20, 2007

Beautiful Texture Deserves a Place on the Wall

I'm on my own this weekend. That means .... shopping. Yay!

I had great plans of visiting TopShop on Oxford Street. However, the closer I got the more my brain said NO. The crowds, the skinny girls, the depression. So it actually never happened.


I managed to make it down to Chapel Market to pick up my shoe at the cobblers (need one? ask me) Then, I sat at an outdoor cafe and lingered over a wonderful Latte and Brioche. I was basking in the sun reading about all the cultural stuff I could do in my Timeout. Yes, I said the sun - le soleil. Yes, it is London. Oui, J'ai dit le soleil.

As I was debating about making the trip further to Topshop I saw an advertisement for an Art Fair right around the corner from the tube. What a treat.

It turns out it is running for 4 weekends and every weekend features a different theme. Lucky for me it was -- textile and jewellery. THERE ARE NO OTHER TWO WORDS THAT GET MY HEART BEATING LIKE THOSE TWO... well of course the words SALE or better still SOLDES (in Paris of course)

The show was an unexpected pleasure. It was free! I saw so much lovely and amazing things that I wanted to own it all. I wanted wanted wanted. As my friend Paulie says "I want but I won't get" (or something like that)... but he was wrong.

I did end up buying 1 thing for me and 2 things for my bestest friend. (her birthday is coming up). I also tried on a great hat. I felt like I was from a different era in this little pillbox (well not really pillbox kind of oval pill box - any ideas as to what they are called? Found this website trying) hat with all this great embellishment on it. I didn't buy it but I'm thinking about it. I wish I had a pic to show you but the young women who make them don't have a website. In fact it was their first show. I feel I'm stumbling on to something big.


Don't worry ... i do have some visual chocolate to show you. Here goes.... these are some very simple silver earrings that I bought from Jo Bagshaw


And, the piece de la resistance or the pocketbook killer (as some may call it) is by a young artist also called Jo - Jo Deeley. In fact, the title of this post relates to a beautiful piece I saw at her stall. She makes fantastic pieces out of textiles.

silky gray

I absolutely adore textured and constructed clothing and her pieces reminded me of that look. She makes constructed wall pieces out of starched cotton or something like that. I need a photo as I have to convince J that it is what he has been dreaming for our wall but doesn't realize it yet. I couldn't find the particular one on her website but here is one I did see at the show. Check out her website it is really fab.

Allright now it is wine time ... first chocolate then wine. What could be a better on a late Saturday afternoon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh what a perfect day!!!
ii wish i was there too-
the show sounds amazing!
glad you are blogging again!

Anonymous said...

So, trust me to FINALLY read your blog on the day before my birthday and find out that you bourght me prezzies-- I am such a loser birthday-spoiler. Sorry! Still, I LOOOOOOVE that silvery ribbony thing you bought yourself-- is it a top? A scarf? It is so very very very Lisa-ish.

MaryAnn said...

The grey piece is just lovely. Very yummy.